Sunday 9 June 2013

Huzzah!

I've had a good last few days. I had two interviews on Friday and both went well enough for me to go through to the second interviews that should be sometime next week.  There is hope for my joblessness! Although a week of applying indiscriminately for everything I was remotely qualified for sort of helped.  :P  I also finally figured out all of the stuff I needed to become a part time student at U of M this fall. Huzzah!

I also have successfully acquired my Manitoba Drivers License!

BUT back to Winnipeg food! Om nom nom!

Kawaii Crepe


This little creperie is located in the Osborne Village right on Osborne.  Styling itself as a "Japanese-style" creperie, the concept of the restaurant is very cutsie (after all Kawaii is the romanized spelling of the word for "cute" in Japanese).  The creperie offers both savory and sweet crepes alongside a myriad of bubble teas and "fusion" teas (black or green tea with a flavour shot).  You can order crepes for inside or to go (each time I've ordered it has been to go since the restaurant is always busy and is quite small).

The first time I went to Kawaii Crepe, I wanted to try their bubble tea.  I got the honeydew flavour.  For me, it was just "OK".  I'm not used to the frozen slushy drink-style bubble tea, which is what this was.  The tapioca pearls were cooked perfectly, which was a nice change from a lot of the bubble tea places I've been to. I didn't want to review a creperie based on just this bubble tea though, so I decided that I needed to get a crepe at some point.

One night, I was feeling like I needed something sweet so I decided to go try the crepes at Kawaii Crepe.  I got the milky way (Nutella and sweetened condensed milk) and an almond bubble tea.  The bubble tea was a bit disappointing as the almond flavour was the typical artificial style bubble tea flavouring packets.  The crepe was quite good, but certainly overly-sweet (which should be a given based on what I ordered).  The two together were simply too sweet for me.

I figured the over-sweet was my fault and decided to go back to the creperie to have a full meal (a savoury crepe and a sweet crepe - holy schmoly it turned out to be a lot of food!).  I had the uptown on multigrain (avocado, chicken and peppercorn mayo) and the divine brown (butter and brown sugar).  I wasn't too impressed with the multigrain crepe and I thought it tasted like a normal crepe, but with flax seeds in it.  This texture wasn't all that pleasing, but it wasn't all that bad either.  The filling of the crepe was absolutely delicious.  It was also a large portion - between the two crepes, I ended saving half of my savoury one for lunch the next day.  The dessert crepe was delicious as well, perfectly cooked and exactly what I wanted.

For those who complain about the service on Urbanspoon, I found my service to be really friendly on all three occasions I've been there.  Similarly, give the girls a break on how long it takes to get your crepe! They're working their butts off back there making every crepe individually.  I've even seen them take crepes off of the pans and throw them away because of poor consistency.  This is a good thing. They want to give you a quality product and actually care! My longest wait for a take out order was 15 minutes during a rush.  Not bad at all given how many crepes they're pumping out.

7.5/10

Kawaii Crepe on Urbanspoon


On a completely different note, I have to bring your attention to the fact that I have found a beergarita in Winnipeg. They're called "bulldog margaritas" and they're on special at Saffron's on Friday night (a double for $10 bucks). Pretty sweet deal. Here's a pic with roommate-Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment