Saturday 25 May 2013

Baked Expectations


Yikes, almost a week since my last post.  That's crazy. This week I've been been busy loathing and looking for work (which I can see why people say it's a full time job in itself).

Baked Expectations


I ended up at Baked Expectations with some friends completely on a whim.  It was on my "to-try" list, but I figured I wouldn't get to it for a bit.  So yay! Neighbourhood exploration! 

It was jam packed, even on a Sunday (granted, it was last Sunday, so over the long weekend).  For me, this is usually a good sign.  Although I don't like to eat at extremely busy restaurants (usually because it slows down the service), it also means that people flock to a restaurant for good reason.  

I loved the décor in the restaurant; it reminded me of a 50s style diner.  The menu was written on chalkboards all around the restaurant (they have a large selection of food, drinks and desserts), but if you sit down you'll also get a menu with everything on it (which is helpful because depending on where you sit, you may not be able to see the entire chalkboard menu).  We were seated promptly after drooling over the display cases filled with cheesecakes, tortes and cakes.  We were there for dessert, so none of us had an entrée.

Out of the four of us that went, two of us were not Winnipeggers and I'm pretty sure that showed in our order: I ordered the red velvet cake and my room mate who is also from BC ordered a double chocolate cake.  The Winnipeggers had the Tia Maria torte/cake; apparently this is something that they are known for. I also got a mug of London Fog with my cake since it is one of my favourite drinks to have with something sugary and decadent.  The red velvet cake didn't disappoint.  The cake was moist and dense; everything red velvet cake should be.  The cream cheese icing was also delicious, but there was too much of it for my liking.  However, I recognize that this is my preference and others love a lot of icing with their cake.  I had a bite of the Tia Maria torte and it was delicious.  I can certainly see why it's a favourite among locals.

Unlike other reviews, our service was friendly and courteous.  Although the cake is expensive, I'm a believer in paying for a quality product, which I think is what Baked Expectations is all about.  It would be a great place for a first date (oh, but oops - no one in Winnipeg is single. I forgot about that. Sorry).  Ah, that will be addressed in a future post.  Haha!

8/10

Baked Expectations on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having good experiences with service in winterpeg! I'm wondering if this is just an "as compared to Montreal" thing, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I've been questioning too! Whether service here is actually good, or whether or not I'm still in shock that people smile. :P So hard to say!

      Delete