Wednesday 29 May 2013

Grumblings

I've had a so-so week so far.  I haven't heard back from any jobs yet, I have no interviews scheduled and it's hard to keep your head up in the face of all dat adversity.  So I've decided to take a more proactive approach to my unemployment and get some necessary things done that I may not have the time to do when I am employed.  My trifecta: Manitoba Drivers Licence, Manitoba Health Card and my Passport Renewal.

Well, we all know how the first one went (and if you don't, look up my post called "Car Troubles").  I figured the latter two would give me problems as well.  I decided to do both my Manitoba Health Card and Passport Renewal today since I've been sitting on creepy pictures of me for weeks now.  I did Health first, and I was prepared for the residency battle.  I had my bank statements. I could do this. 

I get called to the counter and I explain my odd situation (I'm a legal resident of BC, but I've been living in Quebec and now I intend to become a resident of Manitoba).  He asks for my SIN card, Birth certificate and BC Care Card and photocopies them.  Then asks me for my address.  Then presto! I have a Manitoba Health Card! I was kind of dumbfounded by how easy the process was.  Although after going through when my coverage starts and all the things I need to know about Manitoba Health, he tells me at the end that I need to contact BC health ASAP.  Apparently out of all the provinces, they are by far the worst to deal with (he said it's usually a debacle with MSP payments and continuing to get billed even when you're covered in Manitoba). 

My passport renewal went with equal ease.  Since you no longer need a guarantor if you're renewing, you just plug in some references (which can literally be anyone not related to you as long as they've known you for 2 years).  Filled out my paperwork. Waited 20 minutes.  Got my paperwork processed. Doneskies. 

I also found out my momskies is coming to visit, so I'm super excited! I picked up some tickets for Rainbow Stage's "Buddy" performance in June. So stoked! I loved Rainbow Stage when I was a kid so hopefully it's still magical.  I've also come to the realization that I think I have all of the documentation I need to actually go back and get my drivers license. WOULDN'T THAT BE NICE!? :D

Wako Sushi Cafe


On a completely different topic, I can't believe it's taken me this long to review this magnificent place.  It's called Wako Sushi Cafe (on Corydon). I'm not going to lie: After my experience with Wasabi Sushi Bistro on Osbourne (again, see related post), I was eager to actually find good sushi at a fair price.  This time, I did the right thing and looked at reviews on Yelp and Urbanspoon to help determine which places would poison me and which were okay.  I decided to try Wako even though it's a bit out of the way for me, but the reviews were so good that I couldn't resist.

I decide to order a dynamite roll, a salmon roll and a futomaki roll.  The rolls themselves came to around the $11 dollar mark (about half of what I got at Wasabi for the same amount of food).  The sushi was beautifully prepared.  First, I have to rave a bit about the futomaki.  Normally this is made with shiitake mushrooms, so I don't eat it. I don't like mushrooms.  Wako's is not! Just delicious vegetables with tamago.  All of the vegetables were very fresh and crisp.  It was absolutely delightful.  The salmon rolls were as expected.  The dynamite roll was also phenomenal.  The deep fryed shrimp actually tasted fresh! Quelle surprise!

I didn't order ahead of time; I just walked in.  My order was taken and I only waited about 10 minutes.  In those 10 minutes I saw numerous people come and pick up large orders.  They seem to be very efficient!  As a warning, the cafe is largely take out.  There are a few chairs and they sell a few beverages, but for the most part the emphasis seems to be on take out.  Overall, I can't wait to go back!

9/10

Wako Sushi Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I am going to come visit once I have more in my pocket and we are eating gross amounts of food.Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds amazing. Please do!! :D I miss you!

      Delete