Monday 13 May 2013

First Tastes of Winnipeg: The Grove Pub and Restaurant

One of my fondest memories of spending summers in Winnipeg was how much better the food was than in Kelowna.  In fact, going to Sals was one of the things I looked forward to the most whenever I'd come here.  Needless to say, I was really excited to try out some of the local food in my area.  Last night (a Sunday), a friend and I decided to go and try The Grove.  We didn't really have a plan in mind, we were just walking around the neighbourhood so I can get a feel for things and we decided that a beer and an appy were in order. I have heard good things about it, so I thought, "Hey, why not!'

The Grove Pub and Restaurant

We decided to sit in the pub area of the building.   We ended up sitting towards the back (it was packed for a Sunday night), but there was still enough evening sun for it not to feel dark and dank.  There were multiple big screen TVs showing the hockey playoffs.  I can see why locals would really like the atmosphere here; it's very welcoming.  

The Grove has an excellent selection of on-tap and bottled beer, so really there is something for everyone.  I really appreciated that they not only had a house beer but other local beers as well (I believe the company is Half-Pints Brewery).  We both decided on a pint of the house beer.  It was nothing to cry home about, but it wasn't bad either.  

We decided to split a lobster poutine which was absolutely phenomenal.  Rich and heavy like it should be with good size chunks of lobster and lots of cheese.  The gravy used was very light and had a seafood sauce quality which really complimented both the cheese and lobster.  Yum, yum, yum! We weren't even that hungry and devoured the entire thing. I don't think I could have gotten better in Montreal (and yes, I have eaten at La Banquise thank-you-very-much).

Although some have complained about the service, I didn't find the service to be a problem.  Our drinks were prompt, food was hot, and our server courteous.  I think those who complain about the service have never lived somewhere where the servers give you attitude and actually make you want to leave (ie. Montreal).  It could have also been that it was a Sunday - I could imagine on other days of the week it would be hard to get excellent service simply because it's so busy.

I'll be back to this one for sure.  They have Pimms! Boy, have I missed Pimms... Yeah, I'll come back for a Pimms.

8.5/10

The Grove Pub and Restaurant on Urbanspoon



Whilewalking around the legislature, I found this nifty statue of Louis Riel! Lots of Louis Riel stuff here.

2 comments:

  1. Pimms!? Don't tell Caroline, she'll come visit and never leave! :P (and that's my job... I love Pimms!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Pimms! I'll keep that in mind, although having either you or Caroline come to Winnipeg would be the bees knees. :P There was only one pub in Kelowna where I could get a Pimms and Ginger. I miss it dearly.

      Delete